Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mindfulness Personified

My family and I spent the holidays in Portland, Oregon, with my sister-in-law and her husband. Joining us there were the better part of my wife's family--brother, sister, mom, and assorted partners and children, all spread out across a couple of "not-so-big" (but very welcoming) houses.
I had been steeling myself for this trip, as I really prefer a more low-key approach to the holidays than this. In times gone by, I have even skipped Christmas altogether, opting to stay home and go for a long walk on the beach.
To my surprise, I realized that I was beginning to feel relaxed and refreshed a couple of days after having arrived, and this in spite of the crowded conditions and depression that I usually have around the holidays. I didn't think anymore about this until my counselor asked me about it (okay, I thought about it enough to mention it to him): what, he asked, about Brant might have contributed to my enjoyment of this visit?
My sister-in-law and her husband, Brant, run a yoga studio. In addition to teaching yoga, Brant has been leading Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction ("MBSR," in the pro lingo) seminars at the studio. Between the yoga and the MBSR, this pair packs a formidable punch for improving the lives of stressed-out Portlanders.
One of the tenants of MBSR is to be "present" in the sense that, rather than checking out or, alternatively, driving yourself crazy with negativity, you become a neutral observer of yourself and your surroundings. You can watch your breath, observe your attachments to particular outcomes, observe how you move, and, with lots of practice, begin to watch all of those thoughts and emotions cruise by without getting caught up in them. Or, at least you can increase your awareness of being caught up by your emotions, and this awareness alone can allow you to get off of the emotional roller-coaster more quickly than if you are being swept along with no real idea of what's happening.
Thinking back on how Brant comported himself during the holiday chaos, he was always with us in a way that allowed him to relax and rest when needed, but still be fun, creative, and engaging. I think that my counselor was suggesting that I was relaxed because Brant was relaxed. I like that thought, and I think that there is something to it.
It helps, too, that I enjoy the company of my wife's family. Like my wife, her siblings and other relations are a bright bunch with lots of interests. There is always interesting conversation to be had.
Although I was tired and ready to be home when it was all over, I think that this was one very successful holiday trip, and I intend to continue my education in the ways of MBSR.

No comments: