Saturday, September 19, 2009

It Might Get Loud (believe me, it already has...)

Okay, this post is to you guitarists, as well as others who feel the siren-call of rock 'n' roll: Go see It Might Get Loud. While I am certainly familar with U2's music, and it was good to hear Jack White's music for the first time (hey, what can I say? I don't get out much), it was the opportunity to witness Jimmy Page's story, his music as he talked about making it, and--most of all--his present-day persona that really made this movie. Mr. Page seems to have aged very gracefully. In keeping with the overheard sentiments of one my fellow movie-goers after seeing the movie, I found myself thinking about how fun it would be to just hang out with Jimmy Page, maybe have a couple of beers and play some music. His demeanor in the movie was friendly, open, responsive: He has such a shining face and ready smile. And to think that he was one of the powers behind that great rock 'n' roll that I listened to as a kid and young adult.
Anyway, Davis Guggenheim (the filmaker behind An Inconvenient Truth) portrays Jimmy Page, Jack White, and the Edge beautifully. Their stories are interwoven and constantly juxtopposed with one another. The viewer is transported between England, Ireland, and Detroit numerous times, but in such a way that one is always able to quickly orient oneself in the narrative, and one is allowed to form many of the connections between the three stories on one's own, with Mr. Guggenheim as the almost-ghostly tour guide. This, to me, is film making at its best.
The overall effect for me was the feeling of three lives fully-lived, with the stories of these lives having arisen out of--and in response to--their times, their zeitgeist. I, for one, am thankful for the positive contributions that they have made to my own life. And to think that they are just three examples of perhaps millions.

No comments: